09 March 2010

Horror Sequels

Ooooooooooh!!

I somehow feel inadequate for my lack of completeness when it comes to terrible horror sequel viewing.

I don't think there's any other genre that invites such immense numbers, often reaching into double digits. Also, it's rare that any of them are particularly good to begin with, let alone once multiple installments show up.

Case in point:

This feeling of incompleteness is the reason why I have to date, seen every Saw film. No, I do not like them. The Saw series started going downhill around 30 seconds before the end of the first film and has since reached the bottom of the hill (somewhere in the opening titles of Saw III) and have burrowed through the planet and are now flying through space (they exited the Earth's atmosphere around 40 minutes into Saw III). But... I have to see them! This is me!
I watched Saw and Saw II on DVD at home and have since seen the rest in the cinema (barring Saw V, I was busy when it was out, I saw it later). Yes, I have actually gotten on the bus, walked to the cinema, queued for 10 or so minutes., asked the cashier for a ticket, made my way upstairs, sat patiently through the trailers, and watched all toward the end credits, for three entire Saw films. And yes, they were shit.

You suck!

I won't be happy until I have sat through all chapters (and remakes) of these particular spoooooky franchises:

Child's Play (5) (0)
Children of the Corn (8) (0)
The Exorcist (5) (1)
Friday the 13th (12) (3)
Halloween (10) (4)
Hellraiser (8) (3)
Leprechaun (6) (0)
A Nightmare on Elm St. (8) (2)
The Omen (5) (3)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (6) (5)

Plain numbers denote number of installments. Italics denote how many of these chapters I've seen.

Notably absent are zombie films as the numbers and various strands and tangents become a little dizzying once you start including Fulci's sequels to Romero films other such madnesses. Due to the confusing nature the completist in me doesn't panic at the thought of not having seen them. That isn't to say I'm against it, I just can't keep track. It's the more clean cut examples that cause the frothing insanity.


Zombie movies are like zombies. 
There's shitloads of them!

Now, I have varying familiarity with these franchises. Three of them I haven't seen a single entry of. One of them I've seen all but one. One of which I own the boxset of so it won't be long before I can strike it off the list (The Omen).

A few of them have upcoming remakes or sequels (some even have TV series! yikes!). These will only make it worse.

Here's the worrying part, most of them I haven't even enjoyed the initial entry! I won't get into what I liked and disliked here but I'll just say The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is definitely my favourite of the bunch and is a top film in general.

So I invite anyone who reads this to remind me of any franchises I've forgotten about (perhaps leaving absent the aforementioned dizzying zombie tangents, unless you can make me a decent easy access flowchart that explains the whole thing.) Yes, you will be feeding my idiocy, but you'll also be helping.
Doooo it!

Feed me!

And don't even get me started on Dracula films. Seriously, I'm this close to compiling a separate list of those...

This guy!


Appendage 1:
This is where I add the ones you fancy people suggested:
Basket Case (3) (0)
Phantasm (4) (0)
Slumber Party Massacre (5) (0)
Re-Animator (3) (1)
Candyman (3) (0)
Final Destination (5) (3)

Appendage 2:
Since I originally wrote this I've seen:

Candyman
Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh
Candyman: Day of the Dead

Child's Play
Child's Play 2
Child's Play 3
Bride of Chucky
Seed of Chucky
Curse of Chucky

Exorcist II: The Heretic
The Exorcist III
Exorcist: The Beginning
Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist

The Final Destination
Final Destination 5

Friday the 13th Part 2
Friday the 13th Part III
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
Friday the 13th: A New Beginning
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI
Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood
Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday
Friday the 13th (2009)

Halloween II
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
Halloween 5
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween: Resurrection
Halloween II (2009)

Hellraiser: Bloodline
Hellraiser: Inferno
Hellraiser: Hellseeker
Hellraiser: Deader
Hellraiser: Hellworld
Hellraiser: Revelations

A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child
Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare
Wes Craven's New Nightmare
A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Omen IV: The Awakening
The Omen (2006)

Wishmaster 2: Evil Never Dies
Wishmaster 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell
Wishmaster 4: The Prophecy Fulfilled

Click for reviews.

To elaborate, this means I've completed the Candyman, Child's Play, Exorcist, Final Destination, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm Street, Omen and Wishmaster series. I'm slightly closer to the dream...

3 comments:

  1. I hope the Texas Chainsaw Massacre you have yet to see isn't Part 2, because that shit is off the hook. On a related note, I do this too. I'm on the lookout for the two most recent Return of the Living Dead films, even though I know they will be terrible, I've seen all of Hellraiser, and I want the Tremors TV series more than most things. I'm wondering about diving into The Howling follow ups, but I don't know if I can commit to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No actually it's Part 4. Where Renee Zellweger and Matthew McConaughey got their starts! I've heard it's the worst one. A friend of mine picked it as the worst film he'd ever seen. So yay!

    I must say I'm not up to speed on Return of the Living Dead, Tremors OR The Howling. The first Tremors is a classic and I love it. Other than that one I'm in the dark here sir.

    I'd include Return of the Living Dead but as I say, the zombies are too dizzying. I'd have to put the zombies into a different category all to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, 4 is something special. Tranny Leatherface. Thanks for putting this in my head though, because I discovered this came out yesterday.

    http://www.amazon.com/Tremors-Complete-Victor-Browne/dp/B002ZHKZGA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1268256866&sr=8-3

    Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete